Location, Location, Location
The Power of Self Knowledge
For those with an entrepreneurial spirit, the idea of opening a business is one that probably sparks great excitement, as it should. Smart potential business owners know that they must learn the industry and have a strong knowledge of scheduling, finances and other detail-oriented tasks. But the brilliant business owner realizes that personality is key in choosing the type of business to run and how to create and execute a successful plan. The car wash industry is certainly no different.
Entering the Car Wash Business
A car wash is an excellent start-up option for a motivated individual with little previous business experience.According to the International Carwash Association, the average salaries for these startups is in line with or above the averages for other new businesses. However, entrepreneurs looking to enter the car wash industry should consider which type of personality they have before jumping in. There are various business models to consider, and some honest self-reflection is a must if the owner wants to succeed. So, let’s take a look at personality traits and business models.
It’s time for honest self-examination. First, determine what type of business you want to run. Then be realistic. Ask yourself some personal questions:
- Am I a people person? Introvert? Extrovert?
- How many people do I plan to have working for me?
- Do I want to be a manager, owner, or both?
- Am I interested in running a detail-oriented business?
- Am I a team player or a lone wolf?
- What type of equipment would be in my comfort zone?
- How much income do I want/need to generate?
Know the Business Models
There are multiple models from which to do business when owning or managing a car wash. Let’s examine them one at a time:
- Full serve and flex businesses: This model requires the operator to interact with several employees. In this model, the owner needs strong social skills and patience with various personality types. This hands-on model focuses on customer relationships and demands a detail-oriented approach. With the high number of customer influx and employees to manage, only the most personable and extroverted individuals are likely to enjoy this model. The demands are high, but so are the rewards.
- Bay Automatic (IBA) and self-serve: These models are the least interactive types of car washes. Fewer employees means fewer personalities to cope with. With fewer social demands, these businesses are ideal for the more introverted or independent personality types.
- Express car wash: This business type falls in the middle of the spectrum. This model is characterized by fewer employee/customer interactions than Full/Flex, but more than IBA and self-serve. The exterior-conveyor car wash offers the third highest income and will require maintenance for the machinery. So, while this model requires an average degree of people skills, the machinery maintenance is a higher priority to the owner compared to other models.
Iron Fox Delivers
Now that you have examined your strengths and desires, likes and dislikes, and have projected the income you need, it’s time to push forward. That’s where Iron Fox arrives on the scene. We love to help new entrepreneurs take their first steps, and we are poised to help you make the best choices for your individualized vision. We offer site selectionadvisory services, sophisticated site volume analytics, equipment and chemical consultation, sales and service, and further training and advisory services even after project completion.
To learn more about Iron Fox and how we can move you from dreamer to thriving entrepreneur, request a free initial site consultation.
Iron Fox prides itself on the growing success of it’s entrepreneurs. We help those foreign to the car wash industry build and brand their company.